Saturday, December 20, 2008

Scars on Ice - International World Under 17 Hockey Tournament



-->
The Story Behind The Painting - “U-!7 - Scars on Ice”
The Under 17 World Ice Hockey Tournament is being hosted by Port Alberni, B.C. and will run from December to January 2009. As an artist and a hockey player, I had never previously tackled the subject of Ice Hockey in my art. I am finding that memories are powerful for me. This painting was fun to create. I wanted to “play” with the ideas of teamwork, chalk-talk, movement and directions. One of the fondest memories of my hockey years is when another, bigger player than I, wanted to fight me and in a flash, before a fist had hit me, my brother Wayne leaped to my defence. Wayne died at a “young” 60 years of age due to cancer. I use this painting to partially continue my grieving for our loss. Wayne was a great hockey player. I loved him. December 20, 2008



No comments: