Sunday, August 31, 2008

Aboriginal Beginnings


The Story Behind The Painting –“Aboriginal Beginnings” is named because of the influence of aboriginal imagery in my work. When I was in grade 5 or 6 my teacher took my class to see an exhibit of First Nations work at the Parliament Buildings in Victoria, BC.At that time the First Nations artifacts and items were displayed in the lower floor of the Parliament Buildings. I remember a lone rattle snake in a glass aquarium where visitors threw coins. I felt sorry for the snake. I remember after viewing the exhibition getting back to school, riding my bike home chanting to myself as I peddled, “I wish I was an Indian, I wish I was an Indian…….!”This painting freed me up to allow myself to use such imagery in my paintings.As a youth I was also impressed by Craft Cards that used to come in Shredded Wheat promoting “Straight Arrow” – an indian comic book hero of mine. His comics and cards taught kids how to build things in the native way.

No comments: