Friday, August 29, 2008

Et Tu Arbutus



The Story Behind The Print
– Reflections – Et Tu Arbutus - My Brother, Wayne Pecknold was a true hero to me. He died of cancer at 60 – When we were about 8 or 9, my Dad taught us how to make a sling shot. Wayne’s was the best. It was made from an arbutus tree. It was in the shape of a Y, so my Dad had Wayne put a small piece of wood into the Y. He then showed Wayne how to use inner tube tire rubber to bind the two ends together, and he “kiln” dried it in the oven. It was perfect. This print, a variation from one of my photographs clearly exhibits the wonder and beauty of the wood. The same wood that Wayne used for his first sling shot.

The photograph that this Reflections Print mirrors has been here extended . Using some Software designed by the artist and programmed by one of my brilliant former students "Reflections" are created. By repositioning the key elements of the painting I can create about 16 new views. This particular tree was under some maple trees, the sun blocked the arbutus tree's growth, so it "fought back" and created some very celtic configurations!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this shot. It hangs in my home and I get so many questions about what type of tree is that? How did he do that? Love the mosaic feel and how one can just get lost in it. Great work!